So a while back I joined Shipt. For those who may not know what it is, Shipt is a grocery/product delivery service. So far, I have only done small orders as I wanted to get used to the app and feeling out how it would go. So far, I love it!
I wanted to make a list of reasons I think Shipt/Instacart are great gigs for SAHMs so here goes:
- It is flexible – You can work as much or as little as you want. You can schedule yourself whenever the time is good for you. Not many jobs allow that kind of flexibility. If you can only work a shift a week or 10 shifts a week, you get to decide. If you want to work nights/weekends or not, you can decide.
- It gets you out of the house – Let’s face it, SAHMs need to get out on their own once in a while. It is nice to have the kids miss you and you miss them sometimes, too.
- It’s familiar and fairly easy – SAHMs usually know their way around a grocery store. Being that I have not done many shops I can’t say that I have come across all of the hard/difficult shops but if you can navigate a store and have decent customer service skills you can absolutely do this job.
- Making money – It is a nice feeling to finally be able to contribute to our finances. It has made me feel more confident in myself and more helpful in our household. As someone who always made their own money until becoming a SAHM it is definitely a nice feeling to be able to contribute again.
- Builds Confidence – My previous point brought me to this one which is building confidence in yourself. When you are able to contribute financially and have your own little thing that you do, it just helps build confidence because then you feel like you have an identity of your own again.
- Lead by example – Showing your kids that you too can have your own little gig to make money and showing them the best version of you by having the confidence and happiness it creates, is a great example to set for them. I could feel my son’s excitement when I put on my work shirt, that mom has her own job now.
- Free Grocery delivery from Shipt – I don’t know about Instacart but Shipt has a policy that if you work for them you get free delivery service from them. I haven’t used it yet although I have been an Instacart user for a few years now, it is nice to know that if I need to place an order myself, I am able to free of charge.
- Aware of current sales/deals – When you are shopping around for things for customers you may see that certain items are on sale, this can help you be aware of sales/deals you can get for yourself as well. Not only that, sometimes seeing other people’s purchases can inspire you to try a new product yourself.
- Human/Adult interaction – When you do a shop you are conversing with your customer and at times with store employees and so it is nice to get out and have that adult interaction that tends to usually be missing as a SAHM.
I think that about does it for my list. I can’t really speak much on Instacart although I do know that the experience is very similar. As stated above, I have been an Instacart customer but only employed through Shipt and so that experience is really all I can speak on at this time.
The nice thing about working for Shipt is that there are plenty of resources out there when you are just getting started:
- They have a number of Facebook pages you can join.
- They have a ton of information on the app.
- 24/7 chat to help you with any questions.
- The app itself is extremely user friendly/
- Youtube has a ton of videos you can watch of people doing Shipt Shops – so that you can get an idea of what it is like before you do it. As most of those people state, the more you do it the better and more confident you will get because you will have dealt with issues and know how to overcome them.
It’s really quite easy and enjoyable and I am happy that I made the decision to do it. 🙂